Experienced Educator, Passionate Professional,
Dedicated Community member
Terri cares about Eden Prairie!
- Life-long resident of Eden Prairie.
- Proud 1994 Eden Prairie graduate, her husband, Dave Swartout, a 1991 Eden Prairie graduate and mom to three children who will be future Eden Prairie graduates! Jack- 8th grade @ CMS, Lizzie- 6th grade @ Eagle Heights, Will- 4th grade @ Eagle Heights.
- Strong historical ties to the community. Terri is the 6th generation of Picha's living in Eden Prairie. Her grandfather, Harry Picha served on the Eden Prairie school board for many years and his class voted on the school colors of red/black, what a legacy to be proud of!
Terri is committed to Eden Prairie Schools!
- First hand knowledge of the great work Eden Prairie Schools provides in PreK-12th grade.
- Active volunteer over the years in the schools & community. (PTO board, EP school district wellness committee, EHSI host and buddy family, spring fling co-chair,classroom representative, track and field day co-chair, VBS/AWANA teacher, EP sport association positions)
- Advocate of public schools and the dedicated staff that work with young people each and every day!
Terri brings experience!
- Degrees- M.A. Teaching, St. Mary’s University, B.S. Health Education, Community Health, St. Cloud State University.
- School Health Coordinator for the Minnesota Department of Education working cross agency with the Minnesota Department of Health, linking health and learning in educational policy and system change approaches.
- Lead school setting content specialist for the $35 million Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP) run through the Minnesota Department of Health, serving all 87 counties in Minnesota and touching over 900+ schools increasing healthy eating and physical activity initiatives within K-12 settings.
- School health lead for a 5 year Centers for Disease Control and Prevention grant, State Public Health Actions (SPHA) awarded to the Minnesota Department of Health.
- Taught middle school/junior high health for 10+ years in Hopkins & White Bear Lake School District.
- Experienced presenter-MN School Boards Association Annual Conferences, Center for Disease Control and Prevention Annual National Meetings, Minnesota Society of Health and Physical Education Conferences, National Association of Chronic Disease Directors Annual Meeting, Minnesota Healthy Schools Conferences, Minnesota Schoolyard Garden Conferences, Minnesota School Nutrition Association Conference, and numerous other statewide trainings reaching school districts across MN.
- Professional affiliations- Minnesota Healthy Kids Coalition, Minnesota Action for Healthy Kids, Minnesota Schoolyard Gardens Coalition, National Association of Chronic Disease Directors- School Health, Alliance for a Healthier Generation.